Friday, April 26, 2013

Thursdays

Thursday is trash day in our neighborhood. Maybe a month ago, the truck noises started scaring Hunter so I have been telling him about the garbage man and what he does. We started watching for the garbage or recycle man to come by and I would take him out to see him. It seems to have calmed him understanding it more.

So yesterday, I told Hunter, that today was Thursday, and today the garbageman is coming. He was SO excited. I haven't seen little kid excitement in him until that day. He was clapping, jumping up and down, even squealing with joy. "GARBE MON! GARBE MON!" Deciding to test his devotion, I asked him, "Hunter, do you want Grandma or Garbageman to come visit today?" "Garbe mon!" (Sorry Grandma, get a bigger truck!)

I looked out the window and noticed the garbageman had already come, but the recycle truck had not, so I gathered a few empty bottles up and Hunter helped carry them to the bin outside. We sat on the sidewalk and waited for a few minutes. I convinced him we could open the blinds and watch from the inside. So we went in and waited... all morning the excitement built.

Lunch came around and it was nap time. I laid him down in his bed and I laid down to get a quick nap in my bed. During the nap I noticed Winston ran outside and started barking - oh no. The recycle truck had come during nap time. I decided I would deal with this in a way most 2-year old issues are handled - distraction.

So all during the evening I didn't mention the garbageman. Then halfway through dinner, a loud truck drives by the house and Hunter looks up and remembers, "Garbe mon?" I decided he was old enough start learning about disappointment, although I was dreading it, so I sat down to talk to him saying softly, "Hunter, the Garbageman came during your nap, so you don't get to see him this week." I wasn't sure if he understood so I waited. I could see the meaning sink-in on his face. I expected a 2-year old tantrum next, but it was so much worse. It was pure heartbreak. He hung his head and started to cry softly, "garbe mon... no garbe mon..." I was near tears too, so I thought quickly. "But! We can watch a video of a garbageman on the TV!" (-insert distraction).  So we watched videos of raging garbageman and neighborhood dumpsters being emptied for 30 min, and he was satisfied. Thank you, youtube.


1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh my gosh. This melted my heart! What a darling boy. And clever momma ;)